Why would anyone want to hear what I’ve got to say? What if I look silly? We’re talking Self-Doubt and how to overcome it, and connect online.
Show Guest – Ashley Hurley
I am a Professional Development Specialist. I work primarily with teachers of grades 6-12 and my area of focus is literacy.
I LOVE satiating my curiosity by reading, writing, connecting, making, & teaching. I have an amazing family, incredible friends, a cool little dog, & out of this world three-legged cat.
You’ve got something to say but you’re nervous.
Your stomach’s in knots and your head’s filled with endless chatter:
- Why would anyone want to hear what I’ve got to say?
- What if they don’t like my ideas?
- Even worse what if no-one reads or listens – and my ideas just disappear into the vortex?
- How do we navigate the fears and self-doubt relating to sharing our ideas online?
- How do we overcome the procrastination, take that step and just ship it – letting our ideas out into the world?
Plus – We’re thinking on our feet with the Lightning Round with Risk, Passion and Curiosity up for scrutiny.
And to bring us home – A Not To Be Missed Book about How to Think Creatively.
- What makes Ashley tick? (1:31)
- What’s Ashley’s Edge – What would her PLN say? (2:25)
- What’s Thriving for Ashley? – Including not editing our thinking (3:46 and 4:22)
- Learning to really brainstorm for the first time (4:32)
- How to get past the self-censoring and self-doubt – Ashley’s experience (5:32)
- Getting past the ‘I’m gonna sound silly’, the judging of ourselves, and publishing a blog-post (8:20)
- The value of our PLN – when we’re feeling down (9:54)
- The Lightning Round – Thriving – Risk – Voice – Passion – Curiosity – Creativity (12:12)
- The word that sparked the two of us (13:38)
- Ashley’s Not To Be Missed Book (16:14)
Ashley’s Dog & Cat
Links & Resources
- Connect with Ashley Hurley: Website – Twitter
- Find Your Voice – Jen Moes has some top insights about how she found her voice online (Pushing The Edge Podcast Episode)
- My Insights on Finding Your Voice as a teacher – Wrestling the self-doubt and taking risks.
- Read: Ashley’s Not To Be Missed Book – Thinker Toys by Michael Michalko
- Watch Carol Dweck talk about Mindset.
Thanks for listening. We’d love to know what you thought of the episode, just head down to the Comments section below.
And if this Podcast resonated with you – Please Spread the Word by clicking on the Social Media buttons at the bottom of this page.
And Subscribe to Pushing The Edge by clicking one of the buttons below. It’s Free and means you’ll get the latest episode as soon as it’s released.
And Here’s How to Subscribe – Step by Step.
— Jon Harper (@Jonharper70bd) February 28, 2015
— Zachary Ramsey (@EducatorRamsey) February 23, 2015
— Vickie Morgado (@vickiemorgado1) February 18, 2015
— Sarah Thomas (@sarahdateechur) February 18, 2015
— Anabel Gonzalez (@amgonza) February 17, 2015
— Jon Harper (@Jonharper70bd) February 17, 2015
— Diana Engwa (@DJCE57) February 17, 2015
— Travis Phelps (@TravisPhelps80) February 17, 2015
@GregBCurran you are a champion – this couldn’t have come at a better time 🙂
— Karyn Phillips (@kaz_phi) February 17, 2015