In this episode – Listening to that ‘call from within’, and responding to ‘turning points’ in our lives – with Physical Education teacher, Andy Vasily
CLICK PLAY TO LISTEN TO ANDY VASILY
SUBSCRIBE TO PUSHING THE EDGE PODCAST
Show Guest – Andy Vasily
I’m a Primary Years Programme (PYP) Physical Education Teacher, Workshop Leader, Presenter and Blogger who has spent most of my career abroad.
I’ve worked in Japan, Azerbaijan, Cambodia, and China (where I’m currently working).
I believe that our pursuit of mastery in teaching is really our pursuit of mastery in life.
There is no difference between personal and professional when it comes to being an educator.
I believe that finding our inspiration and passion is pivotal to deepening our teaching practice.
We must clarify what our purpose is and by doing so, we will have a greater sense of direction in our career.
It’s all about finding out what makes us tick. This is critical to me as a person and educator.
What do you do when faced with potentially life changing moments?
Do you continue with what’s safe and familiar or do you dare to step off that conveyor belt?
Plus, you’ve got ideas for change – your colleagues are all on board – until it comes time to speak up. Then they’re no-where to be found.
So what do you do?
In the Lightning Round we’re Pushing The Edge of boundaries, Mindset & Making a Difference.
- Who is Andy Vasily and What’s his Most Significant Experience of Pushing The Edge for Change? 1:12
- That Inner Call – that Inner Niggle and Taking Risks 3:10
- What Stops Us from Taking Risks 4:19
- The Fear of Not Living Up to Other People’s Expectations 5:39
- Connecting through Vulnerability 6:15
- Being True to Our Voice 7:21
- A Major Incident Takes Place 8:20
- The Spark returns 12:02
- The transformation in Andy’s blogging 13:35
- Having the Courage to Speak Up for Change and Supporting Others to Do So 14:50
- My Key Learning about Physical Education and Teaching 17:09
- The Lightning Round: Boundaries, Mindset, Making a Difference 18:12
- Advice to Andy’s Younger Self about Pushing The Edge for Change and Innovation 20:59
Links for People and Issues Mentioned in this Episode
- CONNECT with ANDY VASILY – Good Teaching is LIFE Blog – Primary Years Program Physical Education Blog – Pinterest – LinkedIn – YouTube
- WATCH – Mindset by Carol Dweck: The Power of Believing You Can (TED Talk)
- READ – The L.I.F.E Article I wrote for Andy Vasily’s website.
- SUPPORT YOU – Living with anxiety or depression?
Related Posts and Podcasts (Opens a Podcast Player or Post)
About Me: Greg Curran
As an educator with 28 years’ experience, I have a passion for Change and Innovation.
With a PhD in Education, Counselling and Coaching qualifications I have made it my business to understand change and innovation at a theoretical and practical level.
I have held leadership and co-ordination roles, having lead education reform at a policy, curriculum and staff development level.
Innovation has been a key aspect of my teaching, presenting, research, and writing within the Education sector.
For queries, Contact me here.