In this episode, transforming the opportunities and outcomes for our students through Whole School Change. There’s many top insights here from Western Australia’s Primary School Leader of the Year in 2014.
SUBSCRIBE TO PUSHING THE EDGE PODCAST
Ray is the Principal of West Beechboro Primary School in Western Australia, Australia. He’s been a teacher for 26 years and was awarded the Western Australia Primary School Leader of the Year in 2014.
Ray is also passionate about distance running, and has won the Perth City to Surf eleven times. He also qualified twice for the Olympics in the Marathon.
In this episode, transforming the opportunities and outcomes for our students – through Whole School Change
- How d’you get staff, students and the wider community onboard with change – especially when it requires significant shifts in thinking and practice?
- What role does mindset play?
- What are the tipping points, and how d’you navigate the resistance or opposition?
Plus – your favourite segment – The Lightning Round returns as we Push The Edges of risk, comfort zones, and opposition. Our Guest, Ray Boyd, Principal of West Beechboro Primary School in Western Australia.
- What makes Ray tick?
- Being at the top of your game as a teacher
- Lessons from a life in Running
- Stepping Outside My Comfort Zone as a School Leader
- The Whole School Approach – What It Is
- Tipping Points for Change
- The Role of Mindset
- Navigating Resistance and Opposition – Holding Firm
- Getting Teachers Hearts into Change
- Consensus – Change and Autocracy
- Getting the School Community Engaged – Showing the Benefits
- Foundations of a School Community that takes Risks
- The Lightning Round
- Comfort Zone
- We’ve always done it this way
- The parents wont like it
- Ray’s Advice to his Younger Self
Links for People and Issues Mentioned in this Episode
- Ray Boyd’s Social Networks – Twitter
- West Beechboro Primary School – Twitter
- West Beechboro staff mentioned in this episode: Tamara Borrs (Tammy), Gayle Higgins, Ralph Richardson, Kerry Forder, Rachael Lehr, Kellie Taylor and Jordan Burnham
- Key Education Influences
- Key Mentor for Ray – Dr McNeill
Related Podcasts (Click on the Image below to play the episode)
- Rachael Lehr is a Science Educator that works at West Beechboro Primary School. Listen to my chat with her.
- Jason Borton is a Primary School Principal in the ACT, Australia. He has some top insights on Thriving and Taking Care of You.
— Mr C (@whosanktheboat) April 2, 2015
— Karyn Phillips (@kaz_phi) April 2, 2015
@GregBCurran Love this one!
— Nathan Weaver (@weaverteaches) April 2, 2015
— Jodie Jones (@JoadsterJones) March 31, 2015
— Rachael Lehr (@rachaellehr) March 31, 2015