In this episode, empowering our students to be change-makers.
Let’s start with disrupting the business as usual’ stories of oppression.
Let’s tell a more complex and nuanced story of students’ cultures and communities.
CLICK PLAY TO LISTEN TO MY CONVERSATION WITH – CHRISTINA TORRES
SUBSCRIBE TO PUSHING THE EDGE PODCAST
Show Guest – Christina Torres
Christina is a Year 7 and 9 English teacher in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
She writes about race relations, culture, education and fitness.
In this episode, how can we support and empower students to make change happen?
How can we empower them to be change-makers who challenge and transform unjust systems?
We’ve gotta dislodge a huge obstacle: the stories of oppression and victim-hood that are so prevalent.
We’ve gotta review and re-frame the ways we view and talk about ourselves and our communities.
It all starts with re-thinking our business as usual in schools. And on that count we’ve got quite a few ideas to share.
How Christina Pushes The Edge (1:36 min mark)
How to center social justice around students and their worlds (2:14)
Student resistance in action (3:38)
Students interacting with race: Seeing themselves in power (7:26)
How to teach for student agency (10:34 & 12:27))
Re-thinking how we view and talk about particular communities (11:26 & 14:47)
Re-thinking how we view and talk about ‘success’ (16:15)
Empowering students to recognize their capital (22:07)
Naming ourselves with empowered language (23:08)
Getting beyond stories of oppression – moving toward hope, joy, persistence and possibility (25:16)
Getting beyond obedience and polite ‘critical thinking’ (27:50)
The Lightning Round – defiance, vulnerability, cultural capital, teacher-leader, agency, and advice (30:32)
A Not To Be Missed Take-Away (34:56)
- The Language of Power by Christina Torres
- The United Farm Workers’ Union and The Unity Clap
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- Inspiring Leaders: Martin Luther King Jr, Grace Lee Boggs
- Student Organizer, Community Activist and Educator: Xian Barrett
- Surin McGrory – Re-thinking how we view Indigenous Students
- Educolor Resource Page
Students as Change-Makers – Related Pushing The Edge Podcasts
- From Student Voice to Agency with Stephanie Thompson
- Questioning and transforming our communities with Nakisha Hobbs
- Activating Student Voice with Silvia Gonzalez
- Step back and let young people take the lead with Laura Hill