In this episode, getting students excited about, and actively involved in, science education. We’re sharing tips and strategies to transform your teaching.
CLICK PLAY TO LISTEN TO MY CONVERSATION WITH – JASPER FOX SNR
SUBSCRIBE TO PUSHING THE EDGE PODCAST
Show Guest – Jasper Fox Senior
I am an earth sciences teacher at the secondary level who is deeply committed to make school more interesting, relevant and fun for students.
I am motivated by continual learning and watching others (both adults and young people) go through the learning process.
By developing new ways to reach learners I continually challenge myself.
I find that reflection through writing regularly and the discussion that evolves pushes my thoughts forward.
In this episode, getting our students excited about science:
- tapping into, and growing their sense of wonder and awe about the world around them, and
- supporting them to collaborate on the topics and issues they care about.
Plus, how to get others on board with your ‘out -there’ ideas.
And in the Lightning Round: risk, innovation and the status quo.
Our guest, Jasper Fox Senior, a middle years Earth Sciences teacher and host of Learning Lab Radio.
- Jasper introduces himself (1:00 minute mark)
- What is Earth Sciences and how is it being taught differently nowadays? (2:38)
- Connecting what’s outside to inside the classroom – what it demands of us as teachers (3:47)
- Shifting to a collaborative and real-time feedback model with students (5:43)
- Jasper’s model of teaching Earth Sciences (7:06)
- Using video to teach and engage students (7:42)
- How Jasper sets up his classroom (8:59)
- Where it all started – How Jasper transformed his teaching of Earth Sciences (10:28)
- What Jasper’s students think about his videos and the challenge of not boring students (15:14)
- How to get colleagues, parents and resistant students onside with new teaching approaches (19:12)
- What Jasper learnt about himself (24:45)
- The Lightning Round: risk – mindset – innovation – status quo – leadership – Pushing The Edge (25:49)
- My Innovation Coaching Program – Let’s Make your Innovative Ideas a Reality (29:43)
- Jasper’s advice to his younger self (31:06)
Links for People and Issues Mentioned in this Episode
- CONNECT with Jasper Fox – Twitter – Website
- CHECK OUT: Jasper’s videos for his class – Jasper’s YouTube Channel
- WATCH: Three of Jasper’s videos below:
- REMIND (Formerly Remind 101 – A communication service for Educators)
- Carol Dweck – The power of believing that you can (TED Talk)
- Carol Dweck – Developing a Growth Mindset (Stanford University Presentation)