In Episode 27: how to be an ally for social justice. What if we want to speak up but aren’t sure if our words are right? What if we slip up and make a mistake? We’ve got some useful tips and insights to share.
CLICK PLAY TO LISTEN TO MY CONVERSATION WITH – CHRISTINA TORRES & BILL IVEY
Show Guests – Bill Ivey & Christina Torres
- Bill Ivey is a Middle School Dean at Stoneleigh Burnham Girls’ School in Western Massachussetts, USA.
- Christina Torres is a Year 7 and 9 English Teacher in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
This is a special episode of Pushing The Edge. Our guests Christina Torres and Bill Ivey return to chat about being an ally for Social Justice.
It can be quite a learning curve, filled with many questions and uncertainties.
What if we want to speak up – but don’t fully understand the issues, or the correct language to use? What if we slip up and say the wrong thing?
Our guests have been there – believe me and they’ve got some especially useful tips and insights to share.
But that’s not all. There’s a topic I’ve been wanting to discuss for quite a while but I’ve been too scared to raise it publicly.
Well finally I let it out into the world and it leads to an especially interesting discussion.
- Do you know what you just said? How Bill’s navigates being challenged (1:41)
- The importance of decentering ourselves (2:23)
- How might we get more people on board with social justice issues (2:43)
- Bill’s tips about participating in diverse spaces (5:18)
- Owning up when we’re wrong – Christina Torres(8:02)
- An Aha Moment: Christina slips up and a students calls it out (8:43)
- Speaking up about something I’ve been too scared to mention – Greg (10:25)
- Christina’s tips for participating in diverse spaces (14:04)
- Helpful Strategies to navigate unfamiliar, diverse paces (17:45)
- A key lesson: The work is so much more important than whether the person likes me (19:51)
- Bill Ivey on Twitter | Christina Torres on Twitter
- Christina Torres’ Website – https://christinatorres.org/
- Jose Vilson on Twitter – https://twitter.com/TheJLV
- Beverly Daniel Tatum – https://goo.gl/Lza0Zg
- Educolor Website – http://www.educolor.org/
Ally Related Podcasts:
- Teaching Students about Identity and Privilege with Bill Ivey
- Empowering our Students to be Change-Makers with Christina Torres
- Ending White Silence on Race in Education with Greg Michie
Ally Related Posts:
- Stand with Us for Social Justice in Education by @GregBCurran
- Tips for Making Twitter Chats more Inclusive by @GregBCurran