In this episode, How to be an Ally for Social Justice.
What if we want to speak up but aren’t sure if our words are right? What if slip up and make a mistake? We’ve got some useful tips and insights to share.
CLICK PLAY TO LISTEN TO MY CONVERSATION WITH – CHRISTINA TORRES & BILL IVEY
Show Guests – Bill Ivey & Christina Torres
- Bill Ivey is a Middle School Dean at Stoneleigh Burnham Girls’ School in Western Massachussetts, USA.
- Christina Torres is a Year 7 and 9 English Teacher in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
This is a special episode of Pushing The Edge.
Our guests Christina Torres and Bill Ivey return to chat about being an ally for Social Justice.
It can be quite a learning curve, filled with many questions and uncertainties.
What if we want to speak up – but don’t fully understand the issues, or the correct language to use?
What if we slip up and say the wrong thing?
Our guests have been there – believe me and they’ve got some especially useful tips and insights to share.
But that’s not all. There’s a topic I’ve been wanting to discuss for quite a while but I’ve been too scared to raise it publicly.
Well finally I let it out into the world and it leads to an especially interesting discussion.
- Do you know what you just said? How Bill’s navigates being challenged (1:41)
- The importance of decentering ourselves (2:23)
- How might we get more people on board with social justice issues (2:43)
- Bill’s tips about participating in diverse spaces (5:18)
- Owning up when we’re wrong – Christina Torres(8:02)
- An Aha Moment: Christina slips up and a students calls it out (8:43)
- Speaking up about something I’ve been too scared to mention – Greg (10:25)
- Christina’s tips for participating in diverse spaces (14:04)
- Helpful Strategies to navigate unfamiliar, diverse paces (17:45)
- A key lesson: The work is so much more important than whether the person likes me (19:51)
- Bill Ivey on Twitter
- Christina Torres on Twitter – https://twitter.com/biblio_phile
- Christina Torres’ Website – https://christinatorres.org/
- Jose Vilson on Twitter – https://twitter.com/TheJLV
- Beverly Daniel Tatum – https://goo.gl/Lza0Zg
- Educolor Website – http://www.educolor.org/
Ally Related Podcasts:
- Teaching Students about Identity and Privilege with Bill Ivey – http://PushingTheEdge.org/25
- Empowering our Students to be Change-Makers with Christina Torres – http://PushingTheEdge.org/24
- Ending White Silence on Race in Education with Greg Michie – http://PushingTheEdge.org/26
Ally Related Posts:
- Stand with Us for Social Justice in Education by @GregBCurran – http://PushingTheEdge.org/stand-up
- Tips for Making Twitter Chats more Inclusive by @GregBCurran – http://PushingTheEdge.org/26b
- The Pushing The Edge Podcast Archive: http://PushingTheEdge.org or https://goo.gl/yJAZFm
- Social Justice Resources: http://PushingTheEdge.org/social-justice-resources
SUBSCRIBE TO PUSHING THE EDGE PODCAST