In Episode 3: we unpack a compelling drive towards social justice; we confront privilege; and re-assess taken for granted beliefs and values.
Show Guest: Erin Stevenson
I’m a High School history teacher, a lover of teenage vernacular, Hip Hop, Social Justice, and guacamole. I teach high school students just as much as they teach me. I hope to instill a love of learning – AND – a love of people in them by the time they leave my classroom.I believe my enthusiasm, empathy and willingness to learn makes me a great teacher, leader and friend. I believe my creativity, sense of humor and “realness” with students makes me successful.
It inspires questions. It leads to wondering? It compels action. It fuels a desire to learn more about the Other. Social Justice, that’s the thread that weaves throughout this podcast episode.
Erin Stevenson takes us on her journey, as she confronts her privilege, and steps outside what’s comfortable to her.
She’s forced to re-assess her taken for granted beliefs and values, and assumptions. Not just once, but over and over. In so doing Erin learns some pretty significant life lessons that fuel her teaching today.
As someone who is passionate about Social Justice, chatting with Erin really fired me up. There’s so many nuggets in this episode.
- 1:39 – Erin’s Current Classes and her No 1 Passion;
- 2:50 – The Fuel for Social Justice;
- 4:28 & 6:43 – The impact of seeing injustice and recognising your privilege (reassessing one’s beliefs and values);
- 8:22 – Saving students’ versus teaching them how to swim;
- 9:24 – Social Justice and Thriving;
- 11:34 – THE LIGHTNING ROUND;
- 13:58 – Erin’s Not to Be Missed Book.
Links & Resources
- Erin on Twitter
- Americorps – Domestic Peace Corp (4:28 minute mark)
- Erin’s Not To Be Missed Book – The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brene Brown
- Take Care of You – My Empowering You 101 page:
- This page has a a few posts that will help you when you’re in a funk.
- It also has links to a number of books that will help you discover what drives you.
- Thyroid Cancer Support Organisations: USA and Australia (15:08 minute mark)
Tell Others About Pushing The Edge
If you found this episode useful, please write an Apple Podcasts Review for us.
- Apple Podcasts reviews are critical in terms of rankings + building credibility. They help build our audience.
- Click on the link below and it’ll guide you through writing a review.
- And Do Let Me Know when you do so I can give you a shout-out. Thanks.