Here’s an Aussie organisation that’s transforming attitudes towards sport. Proud 2 Play is making sport safe, comfortable and inclusive for LGBTI people. Find out how they’re doing it.
CLICK PLAY to listen to my conversation with James Lolicato
Episode 32 Overview
In this episode, an Australian organisation that’s transforming LGBTI (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex) people’s attitudes towards sports participation – bringing them back to the games they love.
Why do so many LGBTI young people stop playing sports between 16 and 20? And what teaching strategies can we use to turn this situation around – to make physical education and sports environments more inclusive?
Plus, what can you do – if you’re in an unsafe, unwelcoming sports environment?
There’s also the Lightning Round where we’re pushing the edges of participation, body image, pronouns and feeling welcome in sport.
Show Guest – James Lolicato
- What do we know about LGBTI people and participation in sport?
- Why do pronouns matter – in sport?
- Why do LGBTI people feel unsafe in Physical Education (Phys Ed) classes or sports?
- Inclusive teaching strategies for Phys Ed
- Practices of an inclusive Phys Ed Teacher
- Why was Proud 2 Play set up?
- Why does the social-relational side matter so much in sport?
- What teaching/coaching strategies work?
- What can you do if you’re LGBTI and want to be out playing sport?
- The Lightning Round
- What’s changed for James – in terms of how he sees sport and himself?
- Contact Proud2Play (Melbourne, Australia)
- Out On The Fields – 1st International Study on Homophobia in Sport
- Come Out to Play Report – Vichealth Australia
- The Biggest Game in Town: An Analysis of the AFL’s Vilification Policy – Sean Gorman, Dean Lusher, and Keir Reeves
- Stand Up Events – Challenges sexual and gender discrimination in Australian sports
- Rainbow Laces – Tackles homophobia in sport
- GLBTI teaching resources and support organisations
Making Sport Inclusive for Gender Diverse People
- USA K-12 Policies for Transgender Athletes
- Inclusion of Transgender Athletes – National Collegiate Athlete Association, USA
- A Guide to Supporting Trans Youth at School – Twenty10, NSW, Australia
Social Justice and Sports Resources
CHECK OUT my ‘Physical Education and Sports Resources with a Social Justice Edge’ page
Support Pushing The Edge Podcast
▪ If this episode got you thinking or inspired you – please share it, rate it, or write a short review of it in Apple Podcasts
▪ Check out the ‘Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran’ podcast archive
▪ Thanks for listening and your ongoing support.
More Education Podcasts
‘Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran’ is a proud member of the Education Podcast Network.