In this SEASON of Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran:
What do inclusive Physical Education and Sports environments look like?
How can we make Physical Education (PE) and Sports classes more safe and welcoming?
How does sexism, racism, ableism, and homophobia affect our participation in Physical Education and Sports?
Why does diversity matter in Physical Education or Sports? Why should it matter to schools and sports organisations?
How are individuals and communities reclaiming and re-making sports environments – making them more welcoming for all?
Listen to ‘Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran’ – The Sports Season
- Episode 33: Teaching Physical Education in a More Inclusive Way – with Grant O Sullivan & Loretta Konjarski
Inclusive Sports Media
- Chicks Talkin’ Footy – Talkin’ Australian Football
- The Marngrook Footy Show – Indigenous Australian Football League tv show.
- The Outer Sanctum Podcast – My favourite podcast. It spotlights issues relating to diversity in AFL footy, with voices not normally heard in mainstream sports media.
- Women in Sport Podcasts List (compiled by Danielle Warby)
Diversity & Inclusion in Sport – Articles
- AFL footy by and for women: our rules, our game, our story – Nicole Hayes
- Aboriginal cricket pioneer Faith Thomas – I’m still the fastest woman bowler ever – Russell Jackson
- Koori knockout – a colourful meeting of mobs united by Rugby League – Patrick Skene
- Footy has become a redneck wonderland – Francis Leach (Adam Goodes and racism in AFL)
- Refusing to play the race card in AFL – Chelsea Bond
- The Noongar Warriors – Celebrating Indigenous AFL History (Warning contains images of deceased people) – Konrad Marshall
- Mary Daw aims to emulate her big brother Majak in the Australian Football League (AFL) – Chloe Booker
- Afghan Refugee Zimra Hussain finds passion in AFL – Allyson Horn
- Young men remain alarmingly homophobic, study finds (Homophobia in sport) – Miki Perkins & Rachel Browne
- Football’s fight against homophobia might have reached a tipping point – (Soccer) – Emma Kavanagh, Adi Adams, Daniel Lock
- AFL Pride Game exceeded our expectations (Celebrating LGBTI inclusion in football)
- It’s Not About You – a personal tale of the effect of homophobia & transphobia in football – Matt Johnson
- What the Pride Game means to me as a queer woman – Roz Bellamy
- No, female trans athletes do not have unfair advantages – Katelyn Burns
- Tackling gender in women’s AFL – SBS TV (Verna Leigh, a transgender player with the Newtown Breakaways Women’s AFL team)
- How Surfing Helped This Gay Athlete Come to Terms with His Sexuality – Nick Vallejo
- Social Justice in the classroom with Physical Education & Health Teachers – Justin Schleider and Andrew Milne
- Sit on hands or take a stand: why athletes have always been political players – Daryl Adair
- The importance of activism in sports history – Patrick Salkeld
- Why I declined to sing the national anthem at the 2015 AFL Grand Final – Deborah Cheetham
- Why I kneel: Freedom of expression includes the right to protest (link to Colin Kaepernick)
- Colin Kaepernick’s protest is working – Josh Levin
Diversity in Sport – Organisations & Initiatives
- Access for all abilities – Australia
- American Association of Adaptive Sports Programs
- Includes great information on existing US programs and resources for integration and coaching of disabled student-athletes
- Disability Sport and Recreation – Australia
- Proud2Play – Australia
- “For anyone who ever thought there was no place for them in sporting environments, Proud2Play is here to show you there is.” James Lolicato
- Stand Up Events – Australia
- Challenges sexual and gender discrimination in Australian sport
- Stonewall UK – Rainbow Laces (tackling homophobia in sport)
- The Huddle (North Melbourne Football Club, Australia)
- Targets young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds offering a range of programs including – holiday programs, study and career support, digital storytelling, and leadership programs.
- USA National Federation of High School Associations
- Western Bulldogs Football Club Australia
- Offers a range of community-focused programs
Inclusion Toolkits, Programs & Guidelines
- Change Our Game – Victorian (Australia) Government initiative seeking to improve girls’ and womens’ leadership and participation in all sports.
- Includes examples of community-based change (“stories of change”) and many practical resources to drive change
- Disability Language Style Guide – What terms should/shouldn’t you use
- Disability Rights: Inclusion and Sport – Australian Human Rights Commission
- Equal Play Study
- Study examining the impact of homophobic and transphobic bullying on participation of same-sex attracted and gender-diverse young Australian
- Fair Go Sport
- A broad collaborative effort promoting safe and inclusive sports environments for same-sex attracted and gender-diverse people.
- Football V Homophobia – An international campaign that challenges discrimination based on sexual identity and gender identity and expression – in football (Soccer)
- Including Intersex People in Sport – Organisation Intersex International Australia Ltd
- Making your sport inclusive, safe and fair – Play by the Rules – Australian campaign
- Play by the Rules Homophobia Toolkit
- Trans and Gender Diverse Inclusion in Sport – Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission
- US Department of Education Legal Guidelines on Inclusion in student sports
- US Government page on Americans with Disabilities Act – Check out the myths and facts section.
- Muslim Girls Break Down Barriers – SBS News
- “Assmaah Helal from Football United talks about the inclusion of culturally and linguistically diverse people into sport at the 2016 Diversity and Inclusion in Sport Forum.
- For more information go to http://playbytherules.net.au“
Thanks to Sam De Leve and Grant O Sullivan for their resource suggestions.