Angie Greene comes from a talented sporting family. From her Pop, to her dad, to her two brothers, all have excelled in sport. Her two brothers’ sporting journeys couldn’t be more different though – because one is gay.
Episode 37: Overview
Warning: This episode contains language that some people may find offensive or distressing.
Angie Greene’s been surrounded by Professional Sport since she was a young kid.
Her Pop, Frank Sedgman was a champion tennis player, her dad Russell is in the Australian Football League Hall of Fame, and her two brothers were, and are talented athletes. Their sports journeys though have been very different.
Steve went on to play AFL football at the highest level for 5 years, while Brent removed himself from team sport altogether – because of the homophobic language he’d hear on the sports field and in sports environments in general.
Angie saw what her brother was going through – over many years. Add in the sexism, and racism – and she didn’t want to be part of sporting environments either.
That was till she started, Stand Up Events, an organisation that’s challenging sexual and gender discrimination in sport.
CLICK PLAY to listen to Angie Greene
- Angie introduces herself and her organisation (Stand Up Events)
- The differing sports journeys of Angie’s brothers
- The challenges of sports cultures
- Teaching sports-people about homophobia and transphobia
- Knowing if people are open to change
- The homophobia in team-sports (for Angie’s dad and brothers)
- Why visibility of LGBTI people (in sports clubs) matters
- Pride, homophobia and transphobia – The response of officials
- St Kilda: A leading club that’s supporting LGBTI people in AFL footy
- Three things sports clubs could do right now
- The Lightning Round: invisibility, standing up, inclusion, equality in sport, feeling welcome in sport, and impact
- Why there is space for standing up for social issues in sport
- Angie’s pop – Frank Sedgman (Champion tennis player)
- Angie’s dad – Russell Greene (Champion Hawthorn AFL player)
- The launch of the AFL Pride Game by St Kilda Football Club in Melbourne, Australia
- St Kilda Football Club’s – Welcome to the Pride Game
Support ‘Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran’ Podcast
- If this episode got you thinking or inspired you – please rate it, or write a short review of it in iTunes.
- Catch up on previous episodes at the ‘Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran’ podcast archive.
- Connect with me, Greg Curran, on Twitter.
- AND thanks for listening and your support.
Listen to More Education Podcasts
- ‘Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran’ is a proud member of the Education Podcast Network.
- Listen to more podcasts made by educators for educators.