In Episode 43: the ups and downs of raising a trans child in an often hostile world; and how schools can better support trans and gender diverse young people.
CLICK PLAY to listen to Jo Hirst
- Jo Hirst is the author of the children’s picture books: The Gender Fairy and A House for Everyone.
- Jo’s also the mother of a trans child, and an advocate for trans and gender diverse children.
- Jo Hirst introduces herself
- Affirming trans and gender diverse young people – in light of hostile pushback
- Medical advice about being trans and gender diverse
- The emotional exhaustion of being an advocate for your trans child
- How schools and teachers can support trans and gender diverse young people
- How trans children do know who they are
- The use of bathrooms in schools – for trans and gender diverse young people
- Why trans representation matters: Jo’s picture books for trans and gender diverse young people
- How ‘balance’ is problematic in media coverage of trans and gender diversity issues
- Taking care of ourselves (and our families) as parents of trans and gender diverse young people
- What Jo’s supportive school community looks like
- The sidelining and casting aside of trans and gender diverse young people and their issues – in the battle for human rights.
- The Macklemore moment for Marriage Equality in Australia
- Raising Trans kids up – elevating and supporting them publicly
- Spotlight Segment: An historic trans youth related Family Court case (in Australia)
- Twists & Turns Segment: Politicians and research-based evidence
- Closing Remarks
- The Right Track Segment: ‘The Gender Fairy’ (book) doing its work in the world
Trans Children Do Know Who They Are – Links
- Jo Hirst’s article in Archer Magazine: Trangender Children: Doing it For The Kids
- Parents of Gender Diverse Children (Australia)
- Spotlight Segment: Read about the Australian Court Case Jo discussed
- Royal Children’s Hospital Gender Service (Melbourne, Australia) and Dr Michelle Telfer
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)
- Human Rights Commission (HRC) Guide for Supporting and Caring for Transgender Children
- Trans Equality: Going Public, Media and Advocacy Guide for Parents of Transgender Children
- HRC Transgender Visibility Guide (USA)
- GLAAD Transgender Resources (USA)
- Safe Schools Coalition Australia Resources
- Education Department (Australia) Gender Diversity Resources
- The Macklemore Moment – in the Australian Rugby Grand Final
- The Transgender Military Ban (USA)
- Gender-related terms: Explanations of the different terminology used (via Minus18)
- Australian Standards of Care and Treatment Guidelines for Trans and Gender Diverse Children and Adolescents (2018)
- Gender Identity and Sexuality related articles written by young people (Minus 18 organisation)
- Come Out for Trans Equality – Stonewall UK
- Minus18: Australia’s Youth-Driven Network for LGBTIQ Youth
Listen to More Social Justice Episodes
Support This Podcast
- If we got you thinking or inspired you, please tell others about our show.
- Also, you could give us a rating, or write a short comment about our show in Apple Podcasts.
- Listen to previous episodes of this podcast in the ‘Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran’ podcast archive.
- Connect with me, Greg Curran, on Twitter. Let me know what you think of this show.
- AND thank you for listening and supporting the show. It makes producing this show worthwhile.