In Episode 45: Supporting Latino students to see the many possibilities for themselves. Plus challenging the shame and stigma associated with speaking your first language, Spanish.
CLICK PLAY to listen to Victor Martinez
- Victor Martinez is a dual language English teacher in Los Angeles, California, USA.
- Victor introduces himself
- The impact of not seeing students like yourself in college
- Opportunities for, and attitudes about Latino students
- Applying the lens of racial equity in the classroom
- How Victor uplifts his students’ voices and values their experiences
- Black Lives Matter Action Week – Determining what’s ‘suitable’ for our students and responding to push-back
- The link between bilingualism, multilingualism and inclusion
- The shame and stigma associated with speaking your first language
- The challenges for students in the current political climate – regarding immigration
- The impact of being a Latino and gay teacher
- Different attitudes to watching a video about police brutality
- The difference between working in a majority white school versus a majority Latino/People of Color school
- Victor’s involvement in LULAC and LULAC Lambda and how they impact on his work as a teacher
- Owning our voice and advocating for what’s important to us
- Spotlight Segment: Mendez vs Westminster (1945) Court Case in the USA
- Twists & Turns Segment: Integration
- Closing Remarks
- The Right Track Segment: The impact of a sign on Victor’s classroom door
Uplifting the Voices and Languages of Marginalized Communities – Links
Listen to More Social Justice Episodes
Support This Podcast
- If we got you thinking or inspired you, please tell others about our show.
- Also, you could give us a rating, or write a short review about our show in Apple Podcasts.
- Listen to previous episodes of this podcast in the ‘Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran’ podcast archive.
- Connect with me, Greg Curran, on Twitter. Let me know what you think of this show.
- AND thank you for listening and supporting the show. It makes producing this show worthwhile.
Listen to More Education Podcasts
- Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran is a proud member of the Education Podcast Network.
- Click here to listen to more podcasts made by educators for educators.