Be yourself. Embrace what makes you weird. It can be scary, others might not ‘get’ you, and failure’s a distinct possibility. Here’s some tips and insights to get you started.
Show Guest: Doug Robertson
I’m a Bombastic Rock Star Front Man of a never ending Education Funk Machine. I strive for excellence while remaining unique and in control of my own destiny and class. I’m all about bringing the intensity and humor every day.
It started as a comment whispered in the hallway,”He’s the Weird Teacher.”
From there, it became a book, and later a highly unpredictable and outside the box Twitter chat, simply called Weirded.
In this episode, embracing what makes you different with Doug Robertson, an Elementary School Teacher and author of He’s the Weird Teacher.
Showing those parts of ourselves that others deem to be weird can be challenging. You can feel a little vulnerable, and it doesn’t always go to plan. There’s some top insights in this episode from Doug.
Then it’s the Lightning Round, where we’re fuelled by Risk, Boundaries, Passion, Voice, and something that Doug’s particularly well known for – Intensity and Humor.
And for the Pop Culture Fans, there’s Henry Rollins, Steven Tyler, Cloud Atlas, Hunter S Thompson, The Myth Busters, and a Not to Be Missed Quote from The Lorax.
- 1:48 – What makes Doug tick?
- 2:40 – A Bombastic Rock Star Front Man – What’s that look like in the classroom?
- 4:59 – Getting Weird – Owning your weirdness
- 7:30 – Weirded – a different sort of Twitter Chat
- 10:43 – ‘Hit and Miss’ – Learning through Spectacular Failures
- 15:27 – The Lightning Round
- 18: 39 – Doug’s Not To Be Missed Lorax Quote – including his activism for better work conditions in Hawaii.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing is going to get better, it’s not.
Dr Seuss (The Lorax)
Links & Resources
- Connect with Doug Robertson: On Twitter, YouTube, his blog, and WEIRDED.
- Dig into Doug’s Pop Culture References: Henry Rollins, Steven Tyler, Cloud Atlas – The Movie, Mythbusters – The TV Show, Hunter S Thompson – The Author
- Who’s Lauren? Who’s Shawna? Key members of the #Weirded and #Weirdede Community.
- Find out what a Tone Poem is.
- Check out my ‘Be Yourself’ Resources:
- Sometimes it seems easier to hide who we are so we can survive. Here’s my tale of learning to embrace my difference.
- Here’s my 5 Tips to get from Survive to Thrive – if you’re hiding who you are.
- Be Daring – Disrupt Your Comfort Zone with my Resource Page.
- Be Ignited by Doug’s YouTube Video (2012). It fired up other educators about their working conditions.
If you enjoyed this episode, help us SPREAD THE WORD by writing a review.
- Click the link above – for tips to get you started.
- SUBSCRIBE and NEVER Miss an Episode of Pushing The Edge