Sports clubs live and die by participation – that’s what Sue McGill thinks – And too often clubs don’t represent the communities they’re part of. Here Sue shares tips and insights from The Huddle at North Melbourne Footy Club which proudly serves the multicultural community it’s part of.
CLICK PLAY to listen to my chat with Sue McGill
Show Guest: Sue McGill
Sue is the Regional Manager of The Huddle at North Melbourne Football Club
Episode 35: Overview
In this episode, how can sport clubs open up opportunities for culturally diverse youth?
How can they help them bridge the gap between their communities and mainstream sporting teams?
And why should sports clubs reach out, beyond their traditional supporter base? What’s in it for them and their communities?
Plus, we’ve also got the Lightning Round where we’re pushing the edges of participation, assumptions, leadership and community.
- Introduction to Sue and the North Melbourne Huddle
- The power of sport for social connections
- How The Huddle fosters connections for culturally diverse youth
- The importance of listening and the process of building trust with young people
- Why sporting clubs should build links to their multicultural communities
- What can Phys Ed teachers and Sports Coaches do to engage young people
- How do The Huddle teachers and coaches work with their young people?
- How The Huddle works against discrimination & helps foster pathways into mainstream sports teams – for its young people
- What does the newly started AFL Women’s team mean to Sue?
- The Lightning Round: participation, the power of sport, assumptions, re-thinking, leadership and community.
- The power of sport as a community development vehicle
Connecting Sporting Clubs back to Their Communities – Links
- The Scanlon Foundation
- The Australian Multicultural Foundation
- Check out Episode 30 which also has a community-focused theme.
Physical Education and Sports Resources
Are you looking for inspiration or ideas – to make your Phys Ed class or sports club more inclusive? Check out my Social Justice and Sports Resource Page.
You’ll find plenty of ideas from sporting organisations who proudly embrace diversity plus activists who are seeking to change the sporting landscapes. Also catch up on past episodes in this Sports-focused season.
Support Pushing The Edge Podcast
- If you enjoyed this episode, please share it, rate it, or write a short review of it in Apple Podcasts.
- Catch up on Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran – check out the podcast archive here
- Or just search and subscribe to it in your favourite podcast app.
- Thanks so much for listening and your ongoing support.
Listen to More Education Podcasts
- ‘Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran’ is a proud member of the Education Podcast Network.
- Listen to more podcasts made by educators for educators.