You’re passionate about exploring Social Justice issues in the classroom. But you’re worried about being accused of Pushing An Agenda. Here’s some Tips.
Show Guest – Rusul Alrubail
I teach students that writing is power. I believe in kindness & empathy as a motivator for our actions: they lead to a path of peace and happiness.
If you’re passionate about social justice and ‘making a difference’ in students’ lives – you’re probably familiar with a few choice accusations that can cause educators to withdraw, self-censor, tone it down, or shut-up.
The accusations? That they’re not objective or neutral, that they’re pushing an agenda, or pushing their bandwagon.
In This Episode: Navigating social justice issues in the classroom.
- How do you encourage open discussion when you’re worried about accusations of pushing a bandwagon?
- What do you do if there’s conflict between students – about the issues?
There’s also the Lightning Round where courage, fear, and vulnerability are up for scrutiny. And to take us out: Standing up for your agenda. I’ve got a few What Ifs for you.
- What makes Rusul tick? (1:29)
- How Passion drives Rusul (2:23)
- How to navigate accusations of pushing an agenda or being seen as single issue (3:40 and 8:27)
- How to navigate differences of view in the classroom (6:50)
- The Lightning Round – Voice – Courage – Pushing The Edge – Vulnerability – Passion – The Power of Writing (10:34)
- Vulnerability and How to put yourself out there as a blogger (11:23)
- Standing Up for Your Agenda – Greg Curran (13:52)
Links for People and Issues Mentioned in this Episode
- Ray Rice – Rusul mentioned discussing the ‘Ray Rice Incident’ in her classroom
- Starr Sackstein – Starr was influential in Rusul overcoming her fear of writing online
Social Justice Issues – Links & Resources
- Connect with Rusul Alrubail on Twitter
- Listen to Two Social Justice Infused episodes of Pushing The Edge Podcast
- Read: How to get buy-in for the Social Justice Issues you’re passionate about. My Post inspired by chats with Rusul Alrubail and Matt Parker.
- Read – How to Make Change Happen – My Top Posts and Resources relating to driving Social Justice-related Change.
Thanks for Listening
Subscribe to Pushing The Edge by clicking one of the buttons below. It’s Free and means you’ll get the latest episode as soon as it’s released. Plus subscriptions help build our profile within the various podcast platforms.
And Here’s How to Subscribe – Step by Step.
And if this Podcast resonated with you – Please Spread the Word by clicking on the Social Media buttons below.
@GregBCurran great job on your recent episode w/ @RusulAlrubail timely topic, also wonderful strategies for engaging Ss in meaningful convos
— Jasper Fox Sr. (@jasperfoxsr) February 25, 2015
@GregBCurran @RusulAlrubail Fantastic, honest interview by an outstanding educator and advocate for all students and teachers. 🙂
— Sandy King (@sandeeteach) February 25, 2015