In Episode 47: Fitting in and assimilation in predominantly white spaces. Plus promoting girls’ participation in sport, and making physical education classes more inclusive and fair.
CLICK PLAY to listen to Sherri Spelic
- Sherri Spelic is an elementary physical education teacher in an international school in Vienna, Austria.
- Sherri introduces herself
- What’s spurred Sherri on – in respect to diversity
- Fitting in, belonging & assimilation in predominantly white spaces
- Broadening our notions of ‘inclusion’
- Unpacking Sherri’s sense of being ‘sister assimilation’
- Inclusion and fairness in physical education classes
- Promoting girls’ participation
- Spotlight Segment: People of Color Conference
- Twists & Turns Segment: Being an individual versus being part of a community
- Closing Remarks
- The Right Track Segment: Finding a sense of home in Black Twitter
Navigating White Spaces – Links
- Sherri Spelic’s blog
- National People of Color Conference – National Association of Independent Schools
- Here’s the links to Pushing The Edge episodes that Sherri referred to, in our chat:
Listen to More Physical Education & Sports Episodes
Season 4 of my podcast was devoted to making physical education and sports spaces more inclusive. Click on the image to listen to further episodes in this season.
Support This Podcast
- If we got you thinking or inspired you, please tell others about our show.
- Also, you could give us a rating, or write a short review about our show in Apple Podcasts.
- Listen to previous episodes of this podcast in the ‘Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran’ podcast archive.
- Connect with me, Greg Curran, on Twitter. I’d love to hear what you think of this episode.
- AND thank you for listening and supporting the show. It makes producing this show worthwhile.
Listen to More Education Podcasts
- Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran is a proud member of the Education Podcast Network.
- Click here to listen to more podcasts made by educators for educators.