In Episode 53, taking the emphasis off the answer in maths, focusing on building meaning and connections rather than remembering rules, and using low floor, high ceiling maths tasks. Plus, we have lots of maths resources to share.
CLICK PLAY to listen to Margarita Breed
- Margarita Breed is a Numeracy Consultant and former primary and secondary school teacher. You can find her on Linked in.
- Why maths matters
- Learning maths as a lonely and isolating experience
- How Children Learn and Fail – The quality of teacher explanation
- John Holt
- Dianne Siemon (see YouTube clip below)
- Building a culture of thinking
- Number Talks
- Change one thing at a time
- Noticing patterns and connections in maths
- Developing levels of thinking
- Using rich tasks in the maths classroom
- Goldbach’s Conjecture (Maths300 Task)
- Estimation 180 website
- The circumference of a circle
- Developing mental maths skills
- Number partners and number lines
- Transformations in me and my students (Greg)
- Maths resources
- A big aha moment for Greg
Episode related links
Margarita’s Maths-related Publications
- Scaffolding Numeracy in the Middle Years – Di Siemon, John Izard, Max Stephens, Shelley Dole, Margarita Breed, Jo Virgona
Influential Texts for Margarita
Explaining and Showing Our Thinking in Maths – my blog post
Maths Teaching sites:
- Mathisfigureoutable.com – Pam W Harris
- Youcubed – Stanford University & Jo Boaler
- Math for love – Dan Finkel
Number Strings or Problem Strings:
Rich-Tasks in Maths:
- Estimation 180
- Graphing Stories
- Maths 300 ($ subscription site)
- Mindset Mathematics – Jo Boaler, Jen Munson & Cathy Williams (Books)
- 3 Acts of a Mathematical Story – Dan Meyer
- Mathequalslove.blogspot.com – Sarah Carter
The Big Ideas in Maths – Dianne Siemon
More Maths chats and posts
Here’s more of my maths podcast chats and blogposts – PushingTheEdge.org/maths
Support My Podcast
- Spread the word. Share this episode.
- Tell others about Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran.
- Rate or write a short review in Apple Podcasts.
- Listen to previous episodes in the ‘Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran’ podcast archive.
- Connect with me, Greg Curran, on Twitter. I’d love to hear what you think of this episode.
- Thank you for listening and supporting my show.