Laura Hill is all about stepping back and letting young people take the lead. She’s got quite a tale to tell about her two daughters.
Show Guest – Laura Hill
As a creative learner and teacher the world makes me tick. People’s stories, animals, how things work, feelings, nature and my place in it and sharing my view are all part of my day, every day. I’m riding the wave of education transformation to re-imagine school in a way that prepare students for a future that is not yet undefined.
They’re moments that catch you unaware. Moments that surprise and delight you.
When students stretch themselves in ways that you’d never have imagined, going far beyond what you thought possible.
In this episode: Challenging our views about young people.
We’re letting go of the reins and pushing beyond the ‘we know best’, ‘we’ll show you’ approaches with author, broadcaster and speaker Laura Hill.
Laura has two children, Ava and Kayla, who managed to confound her time and time again. So much so that they’re partners with Laura in the Family Business, and have contributed to a significant shift in how she works with young people.
That’s not all though, we’re also talking #WhatisSchool, a Twitter Chat that Laura co-founded with Craig Kemp.
Plus we have the Lightning Round – where we’re talking Risk, Courage and Edge.
And to bring us home, a young John Lennon goes one up on his teachers in a Not to Be Missed Quote about Life, School and Happiness.
1:37 – What makes Laura tick?
2:13 – How Laura pushes outside her Comfort Zone
4:08 – Letting young people Take the Lead – Letting go of Control
6:00 – Capturing that youthful exuberance – Backing off our ego
7:21 – Re-thinking what’s possible for young people
9:09 – Winning and Losing together
10:23 – Stepping back and Adding Value
- PBL = Problem or Project Based Learning
12:53 – #whatisschool: The Twitter Chat – The Impact and How we might apply it in schools
14:05 – The Lightning Round
15:55 – Laura’s Not to be Missed Quote
“When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “Happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life.” John Lennon
Links & Resources
- MEET LAURA & HER CHILDREN (Kayla and Ava) – BIOS
- GET INVOLVED in #whatischool Twitter Chat (Thursday – 6pm EST, 11pm GMT, Friday -7am SGT, 10am AEST, 12pm NZT)
- READ – How we label groups or situations affect what we SEE and how we ENGAGE
- LISTEN to two Inspiring Educators who Challenge Traditional or Limiting Beliefs (Pushing The Edge Podcast)
- Erin Stevenson – challenges the idea of ‘Saving Students’ (based on the idea of students as ‘victims’), and continually challenges her world views.
- Rachael Lehr tells us how she pushes back against her Comfort Zones, pushing back against her limited and negative self-beliefs.
Never Miss an Episode – Subscribe
- Here’s HOW to Subscribe on ITUNES (Free)
- Click here to Subscribe via RSS (Free)
- You can also Subscribe on Stitcher (Free)
— Kory Graham (@tritonkory) December 30, 2014
— Tonya Ward Singer (@TonyaWardSinger) December 30, 2014
— Anabel Gonzalez (@amgonza) December 18, 2014
— Kimberly Buenger (@kimbuenger1) December 16, 2014
— Ben Dickson (@BDicksonNV) December 16, 2014
@Innov8rEduc8r Great Podcast Greg putting the child @ the center of learning is always a great idea:let go & let kids take chances & create
— Jenn Hayhurst (@hayhurst3) December 16, 2014