How a Physical Education Teacher confronts his fear about The Other – Refugees.
Plus, realizing our privilege and using it for good in our classroom and online.
CLICK PLAY TO LISTEN TO MY CONVERSATION WITH – JUSTIN SCHLEIDER
Show Guest – Justin Schleider
Justin is an elementary Physical Education and Health Teacher in New Jersey, USA.
In this episode, Transformative Moments: the moments where you come to face to face with a stark realization – that changes how you see yourself – your life and the world around you.
And life from hereon – is different – if you choose to make it so.
That’s what happened to our guest, Justin Schleider – who comes to realize his privilege as a White, Straight, Middle Class Educator.
But that’s not all – We’re also talking Fear – Fear of The Other – in this case: Refugees seeking asylum in our countries.
It’s a fear – that has Justin facing his own family history.
And of course, we’ve also got the Lightning Round – Where Justin issues me a challenge – on the brevity front – as we push the edges of Money, Discomfort, Growth Mindset, and being a white educator.
Plus we ponder – can we ever stop being educators?
Note: There are occasional problems with the audio quality in this interview due to the Skype recording. My apologies on that front.
- How Justin Pushes the Edge (2:09)
- How Justin came to branch out beyond what’s normal for him (2:51)
- How Justin came to realize his privilege & began stepping out beyond it (6:30)
- Learning to keep our mouths shut (8:55)
- Learning, reading, conversing, and finding out more (11:24)
- Facing conflict online – Justin’s experience and how he responded(14:10)
- ‘One Word Fear’ | Justin confronts his fear of refugees seeking asylum (18:14)
- Justin connects to his grandparents’ story and The Holocaust(21:48)
- Why Justin published his post about his fear (23:03)
- How Justin teaches about difference in Health Classes (25:56)
- How reaching out beyond what’s familiar has benefited Justin and his students (28:34)
- The Lightning Round – White Educator, Money, Discomfort, Growth Mindset, White Privilege, Ever Stop Being a Teacher (32:01)
- Justin’s parting thoughts on the ‘hidden curriculum’ and teaching about difference and empathy (36:52)
- Justin Schleider on Twitter – https://twitter.com/SchleiderJustin
- Justin’s blog – https://slowchatpe.wordpress.com
- Justin’s article – One Word Fear – https://slowchatpe.wordpress.com/2016/01/01/one-word-fear/
- Rafranz Davis – http://rafranzdavis.com
- Rusul Alrubail – http://www.rusulalrubail.com
Ally Related Podcasts:
- Being a Better Ally for Social Justice with Bill Ivey and Christina Torres – http://PushingTheEdge.org/27
- Ending White Silence on Race in Education with Greg Michie – http://PushingTheEdge.org/26
Ally Related Posts:
- Be an Upstander for Social Justice by @GregBCurran – http://PushingTheEdge.org/upstander
- Stand with Us for Social Justice in Education by @GregBCurran – http://PushingTheEdge.org/stand-up
- Tips for Making Twitter Chats more Inclusive by @GregBCurran – http://PushingTheEdge.org/26b
- The Pushing The Edge Podcast Archive: http://PushingTheEdge.org or https://goo.gl/yJAZFm
- Social Justice Resources: http://PushingTheEdge.org/social-justice-resources
SUBSCRIBE TO PUSHING THE EDGE PODCAST