Sporting Club Cultures can be notoriously difficult to change. So how might we tackle the sexism, racism, ableism, homophobia and transphobia that prevail – making them more inclusive and welcoming to their communities?
Episode 36: Overview
In this episode, how do we go about changing the culture within sporting clubs – opening them up to the rich diversity within our communities?
How do we deal with sexism, the ableism, the racism, the homophobia and transphobia that puts off so many of us?
And what about all the emphasis on the ‘economics’ and ‘market share’ – as reasons for change.
Isn’t there a ‘social justice’ case for change?
Well our guest has plenty of insights into these areas – having studied sporting clubs up close as a researcher and participant.
CLICK PLAY to listen to Ryan Storr.
- Ryan introduces himself
- Why inclusion in sport matters
- Skills = acceptance in sport?
- Why did Ryan hide his sexuality – when playing sport?
- Why does being open about who you are matter?
- What might inclusion in a sporting club look like?
- Getting beyond limited definitions of diversity
- How passionate individuals are driving change in sports clubs
- Strategies used to drive change
- How prizing ability and competition affects young people’s participation in sport
- The challenges for volunteers in terms of driving change in sports clubs
- The Lightning Round: inclusion, valuing diversity, volunteering, and competition
- How Ryan’s research has affected him
- Listen to Episode 32 where James Lolicato talks about Proud2Play, an organisation he co-founded with Ryan
- The Big Bash League and AFL Women’s Football Competition
- Justin Fashanau
Support Pushing The Edge Podcast
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it, rate it, or write a short review of it in iTunes.
Check out the ‘Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran’ podcast archive.
Connect with me, Greg Curran, on Twitter
Thanks for listening and your ongoing support.
Listen to More Education Podcasts
‘Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran’ is a proud member of the Education Podcast Network.